HTTP Digest Authentication Problems (K 3.2.3/Apache 2.0.50)

Stephen Hildrey steve at uptime.org.uk
Sat Aug 21 15:53:26 BST 2004

Hi,

I'm using HTTP digest authentication on various parts of my web servers,
using mod_auth_digest in Apache 2.

Until now, I've been accessing the sites using Firefox and IE, but now
I'm trying to get it working using Konqueror (for that warm, fuzzy,
integrated-into-KDE feeling).

I expect it to work first time and, from what I can gather, digest
authentication has been supported in Konqueror for some time now. The
trouble is, it doesn't work - entering the user name and password just
results in the "Authentication failed! Retry?" dialogue. The exact same
URL/user/password combination works fine in Firefox and IE, and there
are no proxies etc involved.

Sniffing the HTTP shows me that the server is sending the
"WWW-Authenticate: Digest" header, but that Konqueror is not replying
with any sort of authentication - which I find intriguing.

I've set up a test URL which is using digest authentication:
http://www.uptime.org.uk/authtest/ user:foo pass:bar. I can't get that
to work in Konqueror, but it works fine in IE/Firefox. If you can get it
working using Konqueror, I'd like to know ;-)

I'd be very grateful to anybody who can shed light on this problem,
thanks,
Steve

--
BOFH excuse #47: