Liveconnect bug

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Aug 5 16:09:42 BST 2004

On Thursday 29 July 2004 16:02, Koos Vriezen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 05:54:35PM -0400, George Staikos wrote:
> > There appears to be a bug in the liveconnect integration in KHTML.
> > Sometimes it seems that the liveconnect pointer is not found and/or
> > stored properly by KHTML.  The result is that liveconnect queries come up
> > empty.  An example site where this happens is http://www.jibjab.com/.
> > Start the flash, and a new window will appear.  It will show a flash,
> > then when it ends, rewrite the document and start a third flash.  The
> > third one makes a JS call ("javascript:foo") and gets an empty result
> > back.  Anyone have an idea why?
>
> No, but you might add some debug at HTMLObjectBaseElementImpl::put and
> HTMLObjectBaseElementImpl::setLiveConnect (html/html_objectimpl.cpp) to see
> if the return value is set to the same liveconnect extension that the
> plugin has.

   No help so far.  Anyway this is a pretty major bug as far as KHTML is
concerned.  We should entirely disable liveconnect for plugins (and therefore
disable flash) if we can't fix this for 3.3.  The number of crashes I'm
seeing on "everyday websites" is rather large, though in many cases it
doesn't "crash" right away, but it does corrupt itself internally.

Note: disabling liveconnect effectively may disable flash for most users
anyway since the eolas patent workaround required the use of it

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer			http://www.kde.org/