Extending Icons and Context Menus

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Fri Apr 16 12:32:25 BST 2004

Dnia pią 16. kwietnia 2004 02:43, Aaron J. Seigo napisał:

> On April 15, 2004 01:50, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > Specification for .desktop format is... Hmm. I don't know where exactly
> > this is - look for desktop specs at fd.o. I don't know where is
> > description of KDE extensions.
>
> there's a servicemenu howto at:
>
>   http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/dot/servicemenus.html
>
> it needs a few updates to reflect current developments, though it's
> pretty current. it misses a few minor things like TryExec, and some
> oddities with shell commands... but it's fairly complete.

TryExec is described in .desktop specs.

> as for icon overlays, i don't think that's exposed in the plugin APIs,

I think OP was thinking rather about something like .directory files.
You can specify icon there.

> but were i to hazard a guess w/out looking at the code (queue dfaure
> stepping in here to correct me ;) i would say it's likely in the KFileIVI
> and IconView code ... improvements to that stuff could be quite cool and
> generally applicable; e.g. may be better in konqi itself rather than as a
> plugin.

KFileIVI are those great (in all meanings of this word :) file-tooltips?
Shouldn't this code be moved to kdelibs so all apps could use them
(almost) automagically?

I have also question about XMLUI:
(fragment of kaddressbookui.rc)
  <Menu name="RMBPopup">
    <Action name="file_properties"/>
    <Action name="file_new_contact"/>
    <Action name="edit_delete"/>
    <Separator/>
    <Action name="file_mail"/>
    <Action name="file_mail_vcard"/>
  </Menu>

You can define RMB menu in ui files, great. But can those actions be
taken from .desktop files or have they be from 'hard' code?

I mean .desktop files are great but actions from them are relegated to
Actions submenu, but what when I want to create really custom RMB menu
without messing with a code?

m.

Learn Touch Typing with Vim? Oui. Ja. Yes. Tak:
  http://vim.sourceforge.net/script.php?script_id=461
vim.pl - http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/