Wrong charsets picked up

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Thu Apr 15 23:44:26 BST 2004

Stephan Kulow wrote:
>Am Wednesday 14 April 2004 02:51 schrieb Dirk Mueller:
>> That patch doesn't look correct to me. The web browser has to ignore
>> the HTTP charset when the document specifies one. Your patch appears
>> to break this.
>
>I can't say what the patch does exactly, but you confused me with that
>statement.

I think he meant that the <link> tag's charset attribute should
toverride the webserver's charset parameter. Which is exactly the
opposite of what the standard you quoted recommends:

>> * An HTTP "charset" parameter in a "Content-Type" field.
>> * A META declaration with "http-equiv" set to "Content-Type" and a
>> value set for "charset".
>> * The charset attribute set on an element that designates an
>> external resource.
>
>So the document comes after the HTTP charset in my reading.

Item #2 is invalid for this case, since a CSS stylesheet can't have a
META tag. It can, however, have a @charset rule. I haven't checked that
out.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info