Konqueror Mimetype Scanning

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Apr 6 16:10:44 BST 2004

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 17:03, Dik Takken wrote:
> How can Konqueror still display the correct filetype icon when the file
> extension is wrong? It needs to do a full mimetype scan to do that.

There are two cases, when the extension is a known one.

If the mimetype says "my extensions include *.jpg", then *ANY* .jpg will be treated as an image.
Konqueror will not look at the contents in that case, and will not use delayed-mimetype-determination.
This is the case with most mimetypes.

If the mimetype says "my extensions include *.doc, but better double-check"
(on unix systems many *.doc files are plain text),
then Konqueror should first assume msword then use delayed-mimetype-determination
to find out the real contents. I'm not 100% sure this works that way, since the support
for "not totally sure extensions" (X-KDE-PatternsAccuracy key in the mimetype)
was added after the delayed-mimetype-determination support. To be double-checked.

The third case is "the extension isn't known", and then for sure konq uses delayed
mimetype determination.