Speed and Look of IconView browsing.

Enrico Ros eros.kde at email.it
Mon Apr 5 01:48:27 BST 2004

On Sunday 04 April 2004 21:05, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> Dnia sob 3. kwietnia 2004 20:10, Enrico Ros napisaƂ:
> > 01 NOT TO BE APPLIED IN SHORT. Eye-candy patch. The user will see the
> > viewport painted at once, not the growing from the top-left corner; also
> > suppress flicker due to composting.

> Great! I applied all of them and spot only one problem. When entering
> directory with over 6000 files everything freezes for few seconds.
> Situation is even worse (up to 20seconds) when using open file dialog.

You hilighted 2 points:
1) the file dialog suffered the same problem that the konqiconviewwidget had.
I ensure you that now the file dialog is as fast as the filemanager. (it can
be more than 4x faster with 6000 items..)

> I understand in this time KDE/Qt are buffering icons before painting
> them. This is of course extreme situation (local repository of Mdk
> packages) but maybe something can be done? Progress bar?

2) In fact only the viewport is buffered, icons are not.. In this situation
the only different thing should be the cleaning of the viewport. The first
icons will be displayed at the same time (maybe faster) than without the
patch applied, isn't it? Maybe we can detect if the operation is taking so
long and display progress / clear the background in that case.

Enrico