Speed and Look.. what comes next.

Enrico Ros eros.kde at email.it
Mon Apr 5 01:33:16 BST 2004

On Saturday 03 April 2004 17:17, George Staikos wrote:
> [ ...cut... ] One thing I have heard comments about is the KDE
> file dialog.  I was told that it takes approximately 10 times as long as
> Qt's file dialog to list a large directory (thousands of files).

It sorted out that kfiledialog has the same problems I fixed on
konqkfmiconview.
Unfortunately, due to the architecture and strict binary compatibility is not
possible to do something unique for all the file dialogs.. KonqIconViewWidget
has its interface, KDirOperator integrates different fileviewers inheriting a
non-widget KFileView so patches must be done on derived classes
(KFileIconView, KFileDetailView, ...).
But apart from the aesthetics, patches on those 3-4 classes don't sound like
dirty hacks.
Maybe when KDE4 will be on horizon I can give my 2 cents on modifying this
framework, to unify things, but since that moment I'm happy going around
patching the fileviews! ^_^

Expect more patches to review in short.
Enrico