text selection consistency

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 27 01:32:12 BST 2003

On Friday 26 September 2003 19:39, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 27 September 2003 01:34, Max Howell wrote:
> > > This has already bitten me. I'm working hard on a solution that inverts
> > > the colors if the contrast is too small. I think it's better to
> > > occasionally divert from the global colors than having unrecognizeable
> > > selections.
> >
> > If you do make a solution to detect poor contrast and invert as
> > appropriate I'd be interested in writing a bit of code to detect when
> > pages have poor font/background colour choices that give low contrast.
> > Konqueror could react by using user-css or just upping the contrast. It
> > could be an accessability add-on and I'd personally use it. I just found
> > a site with bright blue links on a navy background, some people's design
> > decisions astound me!
>
> A generic method that detects if two colors are too close to be
> distinguishable would be useful in many contexts - e.g. when determining
> the selection color in KWord (it defaults to the KDE selection color, but
> if the frame's background color has that color too, then it'll be hard to
> see).

I'm a web developer.  There are many cases where low-contrast fields are very
desirable.  Examples include:
  - Copyright and credits fields
  - Other less-important content
  - Fields for consumption by search engines
  - Crappy competitive sites that I don't *want* anyone to read

If a designer sets the text color to #efefef, its because they *want* it to be
#efefef, and not #ffffff.  Either the designer
	 A) he knows what he's doing, or
	 B) is clueless.

Right now, those who know what they are doing are rewarded with pages that
look like they designed; those who don't get what they ask for.  If you
implement this 'fix', those who know what they are doing will need to use
javascript to detect the Konqueror web browser and version to compensate for
the color fix.

In sum, please don't make this a default behavior!

-- Mike

'just because we can do something doesn't mean we should'
 - Michael Crichton, Jurrasic Park