KURIFilter: Google shortcut fails with umlauts

Sigþór Jarðarson cshobe at somerandomdomain.com
Fri Sep 19 01:41:09 BST 2003

On Thursday 18 September 2003 19:11, Malte Starostik wrote:
> I can't tell when it first happened, I only noticed this today. My default
> charset is latin1 while the google web shortcut uses utf-8.
> When typing "gg:ümläüts" into minicli or konq's location bar, this results
> in an incorrect query string: the query contains "ümläüts" in URL-encoded
> latin1, but the encoding parameter included in the query string says it's
> utf-8.

I can verify this problem on a 20020915 CVS build.  I'm not sure what the
default charset is, but none of the characters I use outside of the normal US
ones work (even though they're all standard latin).

When typing gg:þðæöáóéúíý in konqueror, it loads:
http://www.google.com/search?
q=%F6%FE%F0%E6%E1%F3%E9%FA%FD%ED&
ie=UTF-8&
oe=UTF-8
...however Google shows ?????????? as what I searched for.

If I type it into Google, it works fine - the URL loaded is
http://www.google.com/search?
hl=en&
lr=&
ie=UTF-8&
oe=UTF-8&
q=%C3%BE%C3%B0%C3%A6%C3%B6%C3%A1%C3%B3%C3%A9%C3%BA%C3%AD%C3%BD&
btnG=Google+Search

Therefore, the gg: function is only useful to me for english queries.  I'll be
quite happy to see this fixed.

--
Sigþór Jarðarson
cshobe at somerandomdomain.com

"First off, I'd suggest printing out a copy of the GNU coding standards,
and NOT read it.  Burn them, it's a great symbolic gesture."
     -- Linus Torvalds