data urls and FileCopyJob

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Sun Sep 14 22:00:30 BST 2003

Hello,

Data urls again. This time it is a problem with kwrite whose document stems
from a data url.

I issue it with

kwrite "data:,bla."

and expect to get a document that contains nothing but

bla.

What I get is the following error message

Could not write to file /tmp/kde-kderun/kwriteG1vvrc.tmp

and an empty document.

Transcript is as follows:
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-kderun/ksycoca
kio (KTrader): KServiceTypeProfile::offers( KTextEditor/Plugin, )
kio (KTrader): Returning 3 offers
kio (KDirWatch): Available methods: Stat
kio (KIOJob): Starting kio_uiserver
kio (KIOJob): startServiceByDesktopPath returned 0
kio (KIOJob): kio_uiserver registered
kwrite: DataProtocol::DataProtocol()
kwrite: kio_data::get(const KURL& url)
kio (KIOJob): error 29 /tmp/kde-kderun/kwriteG1vvrc.tmp
kparts: ReadOnlyPart::slotJobFinished
kwrite: DataProtocol::~DataProtocol()

The permissions of /tmp/kde-kderun/kwriteG1vvrc.tmp are 0600, so nothing
obviously wrong here.

The data.protocol goes like this:
[Protocol]
protocol=data
input=stream
output=none
reading=true
Icon=www
Description=A kioslave for data URIs (rfc2397)
Description[de]=Ein Protokoll für data URIs (rfc2397)
DocPath=kioslave/data.html

The data kioslave only supports get, mimeType, and totalSize, but looking into
FileCopyJob I found nothing indicating that copying from a streaming kioslave
shouldn't work.

Can a kio guru help here? Though data urls are not obviously useful for text
document generation per se, they may well be used to populate a konqueror
document or iframe with contents of type text/plain, which fails for the same
reason.

mfg
	Leo