Syncing Bookmarks via CVS

Christian Mueller cmueller at gmx.de
Tue Oct 21 10:37:46 BST 2003

Am Dienstag, 21. Oktober 2003 09:34 schrieb Alexander Kellett:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:17:37PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > I am wondering, if there is an easy way to sync bookmarks.xml files on
> > different machines. My initial idea was to put the bookmarks.xml in a
> > directory which is in CVS and let CVS do the work (I need to take care
> > somewhat that there are not too many collisions, but with many
> > subdirectories that should work reasonably well.
> >
> > Now I found that when I do a
> >
> > 	ln -s ~/CVSed/bookmarks.xml .
> > in
> > 	~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror
> >
> > Then konqeror removes the link and stores a simple file there again, when
> > I edit the bookmarks.
>
> i'll add a simple hack to detect the existance of a symlink
> and follow it before writing out the file. for 3.3 i'm aiming
> to get some proper infrastructure for bookmark syncing.

For now Rainer could hack around the problem by putting the real
directories and files in ~/.kde under CVS control.
I've been doing it this way for about a year now and it works pretty well
for me.  Now I would really miss the ability to say cvs diff on my bookmark
file.  BTW, this also allows me to sync konqi's bookmarks between
office and home  :-)

I only added those directories and files to CVS that I actually want to be
version controlled, e.g. addressbook, qtvision channels, bookmarks,
but not the rc files that store settings like latest window size...
they just change too often, and I don't need to store that info anyway.

Well, it's not ideal, but it works.

Christian.