Embedding multible java applets and focus problems

Leon Bottou leon at bottou.org
Mon Oct 13 23:42:20 BST 2003

On Monday 13 October 2003 04:35 pm, Leon Bottou wrote:
> As it is now, the XAddToSaveSet is only performed
> when the embedding is achieved by calling embed().
> Not when using QXEmbed::embedClientIntoWindow().
> Nobody noticed...

After playing with it, I believe that QXEmbed should never perform XAddToSaveSet.

If the embedding application terminates on xkill, we never want the embedded
application to resist the change and stick around.  In fact, if we really want this,
it is quite easy for the embedding application to call XAddToSaveSet just after
calling QXEmbed::embed().

If the embedding application exits cleanly, we want the embedded application
to exit cleanly too. This is already the case because autoDelete() takes care of this.

The only case when it does not happen is when we forget to properly
destroy the hierarchy of Qt widgets.   This can happen when the
toplevel widget is allocated with new and someone calls qApp->quit()
and exits without performing a delete.  This is in fact the only case where
the XAddToChangeSet makes a difference.  Maybe this is what is happening
with the java viewer.

So here is my latest patches.

They work with the little test program below (qxembedtest.cpp).
I will now replace my libkdeui.so and see what happens...

- L.