Tabs and the new auto-hidden close =?iso-8859-1?q?button

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Sat May 31 16:44:42 BST 2003

?=
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 11:44:28 -0400

On Saturday 31 May 2003 05:28, Yves Glodt wrote:
> On Saturday 31 May 2003 11:07, Dawit A. wrote:
> > I have big problems with the way this new "dynamic" close button is
> > implemented in konqueror. It causes one to inadvertently close the
> > tab when what (s)he wanted to do was simply bring that tab to the
> > top. Can whomever implemented this please explain why the close
> > button is hidden until the mouse hovers over the little favicon ? To
>
> Wouldn't it be better if this close button would appear when you hover
> anywhere over the tab, and not just over the favicon??

I do not think that changes anything. Even adding a delay timer does not help
IMHO. Either these buttons are visible all the time or there is only one
button to close the tabs like in Mozilla. Personally I do not see the need
for such this button at all. It does nothing but clutter space. We can
already close tabs multiple ways: right click on the tab and choose close or
use the close tab button which has now been moved to the main toolbar.
Anyways, in the least this should be configurable as it is in Mozilla.

> I guess people mostly activate tabs by clicking somewhere in the middle
> of the tab. This way an accidental close would not be so likely to
> happen.

That is a very big and IMHO wrong assumption.  If you have many tabs open and
are moving your mouse pointer from left to right, as soon as the mouse pointer
hits the little icon in the next tab the close button is displayed. In the
split second it takes for that button to appear, a user could have already
clicked on the mouse.

Regards,
Dawit A.