mmb pasting in Konqueror

Datschge datschge at gmx.de
Sat May 17 14:48:54 BST 2003

Am Samstag 17 Mai 2003 10:52 schrieb John Levon:
> > I disagree. It does indeed paste, it pastes the selection buffer to the
> > Kurl interpreter which then decides which kioslave to use, and, if none
> > fitting is found, sending the selection buffer to google instead.
>
> Guess how much the user sees of this process. That's right, none. What
> the user sees is a mouse press causing a page to be loaded. Therefore,
> it's not pasting from the user's point of view, and the user is what
> counts here not kinternalwhatever.

That isn't exactly true either. What the users can see is that the location
bar contains the formerly pasted and now progressed selection buffer. This is
exactly the point where it becomes brutally obvious how fatal it actually is
that the mmb is no longer used solely for pasting the selection buffer: If
mmb paste were the only thing users can do with the mmb the whole behavior
would be perfectly consistent and the user wouldn't even get the idea to mix
it up with another behavior at all. But instead mmb click on link to open it
in a new window/tab has been taken over from mozilla breaking this
consistency leading to the current mess where we even get requests to
introduce a mmb "internet style autoscroll" feature instead.

So yes, in this regard I'm in favor of removing "mmb click on link to open it
in a new window/tab" (which is also as non-obvious and even less consistent)
or move it to another button/key combo so the consistency of mmb paste
doesn't get watered down any further.

Or remove all traces of mmb paste usage so all non-*nix converts will be happy
(but in this case we'll lose the feature race for sure, converts will expect
more features from their former systems to be introduced when we can't keep
our own features consistent but instead claim to be consistent with other
systems).

Regards, Datschge