Site Navigation Bar

Marcus Camen mcamen at mcamen.de
Tue May 13 21:47:28 BST 2003

> > I was working on a site navigation plugin for konqueror.
> > It's inspired by the site navigation bar of Mozilla and it is an
> > evolution of the rellinks plugin (cf.
> > http://apps.kde.com/uk/0/info/vid/5039 )

[...]

> I don't know this Mozilla feature. Describe what you're trying to do?

It is part of the HTML 4.01 recommendation:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#edef-LINK

--- SNIP

This example illustrates how several LINK definitions may appear in the HEAD
section of a document. The current document is "Chapter2.html". The rel
attribute specifies the relationship of the linked document with the current
document. The values "Index", "Next", and "Prev" are explained in the section
on link types.

<HTML>
<HEAD>
  <TITLE>Chapter 2</TITLE>
  <LINK rel="Index" href="../index.html">
  <LINK rel="Next"  href="Chapter3.html">
  <LINK rel="Prev"  href="Chapter1.html">
</HEAD>

--- SNIP

And there are even more special tags for 'table of contents', 'authors',
'copyright', 'related links', etc.

Just try it with Mozilla (View -> Show / Hide -> Site Naviagation Bar).
E.g. in the SlashDot acticle view you can jump from on story to the next or
previous one --- similar to GNU info.
Another example is the w3c link given above.

Hmmm...
Browsing the KDE API docs would be really great if the HTML code would include
the HTML LINK tags...   ;-)

> For sure the user can show/hide the toolbar, using the Window menu.
>
> But maybe you mean it should appear/disappear automatically? When?

The navigation bar should only be visible if the webpage does include the
  <!ATTRLIST LINK
elements. In addition we need an option to show it never or always.

--
Marcus