Sync history deletion in konqueror

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Thu May 8 02:44:04 BST 2003

On Wednesday 07 May 2003 11:57, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Wednesday 07 May 2003 07:32, Dawit A. wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > The following configurable patch (on by default) is intended to sync
> > browsing history deletion with the location box's own history/completion
> > items deletion. This has been a point of contention for many people.  I
> > was
>
> The "clear" should also be broadcasted to all other konqs, so that not just
> one window's combo is cleared. I.e. the receivers of emitClear() should
> take care of clearing the combos then.

Hmm... this is rather problematic from a user's point of view.  I now
understand why the other browsers do not offer the option to clear history
from within a widget. Clearing history from a specific widget implies that one
is clearing the history for that particular window and no other. However, if
one does this from a central location like a config dialog then it would seem
to apply to all instances running or otherwise.

Perhaps it was a mistake to have added this option directly into KHistoryCombo
by default without a means to disable it ?? Dunno, but I am sure if we remove
the completion contents of other running instances of konqueror when one
clicks on "Clear History" I am sure it is a matter of time before someone
else complains that it is un-intuitive to do that. And personally I would not
blame them since I am not so sure about it either.  Doing this from the
config dialog would be clear cut however...

> And I agree that only the konq_mainwindow patch is needed. There's one bug
> with the KonqHistoryManager/KonqCombo integration tho (unrelated to your
> patch). When the history is cleared and all the combos as well, then the
> current URL should be reset, otherwise, you see completely naked combos ;)

This has been recently fixed by Waldo in KHistoryCombo :)