rdbms file system

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 03:26:53 GMT 2003

Is anyone investigating an extensible rdbms file system for kde or linux in
general? Here's what I mean:

* rdbms       = relational database management system .
* file system = data is broken into 'bulk' and metadata components
* extensible  = metadata can be defined per application through means of a
                template.

I see such a system as required to be competative (or exceed) MS. It could,
for example, provide a convergence of email storage with file storage, where
each email is a distinct 'file' type, and can be manipulated exactly as a
normal 'file'. Such a system might also be available to store contact
information, schedules, and other application meta- and bulk- data.

Implicit in such a framework is that the filesystem would look like any other,
at least through Konqueror, much like tgz files are handled today (as in the
email example, above). Such a system could also provide uniform input for
data through a simple templating system, and automatic version control (the
software I have illustrates these concepts). Imagine rolling back to a prior
configuration for any app which uses such a framework. A uniform API might
mean that a single applications could function on whole swathes of data
types, e.g. a universal XML input-output.

One might approach this at the OS level, but that is probably unsettling and
premature. If, however, a suite such as kde were to adopt such a framework,
developers could convert to it over time, and users would benefit
significantly.

I have some software I could provide towards an effort as a proof of concept.
This is probably the wrong place to post, but any pointers on where to
discuss this would be most welcome.

Any thoughts on this? Is a similar framework being built or already in place?
I also have more concrete examples for interested developers.

Sincerely,

Mike