Mime types registration problem

Robin Rosenberg robin.rosenberg at dewire.com
Fri Mar 14 18:03:18 GMT 2003

I have a problem with mime-types in javascript. Why doesn't konqueror list some
mime types in navigator.mimeTypes

This is the content of the .desktop file. Konqueror finds and can use the mime
type just fine, but it does not show up javascript.

# /usr/share/mimelnk/application/x-java-jnlp-file.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Comment=Java Web Start
Hidden=false
Icon=
MimeType=application/x-java-jnlp-file
Patterns=*.jnlp
Type=MimeType
X-KDE-AutoEmbed=false

# /usr/share/applnk/Internet/javaws.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Exec='/usr/bin/javaws'
Icon=
InitialPreference=2
MimeType=application/x-java-jnlp-file
Name=javaws
SwallowExec=
SwallowTitle=
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application

On the system (Mandrake 9.0 plus KDE 3.1 from cooker) there about two hundred
mime-types, but the navigator.mimeTypes only contains 81 entries. Running as
another user (su) I get no types. and on a Mandrake 9.0 I get 183 types. However my type
does not show up.

How is this filtering done? Why doesn't all MIME types that konqueror knows show up?

The reason I'm asking is that Sun's example code for Java Webstart uses JavaScript to
see if WebStart is installed and it does this by checking the navigator.mimeTypes array.

-- robin