rdbms filesystem and kmail

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 20:04:33 GMT 2003

Hello, everyone:

I apologize for cross posting, but I really don't know where to turn.
I have a personal interest in the following, and some software I wish to
provide towards the effort as a proof of concept.  This may be beyond the
scope of this mailing list, but any pointers on where to discuss this would
be most welcome.

Is anyone investigating an extensible rdbms-based file system for kde or linux
in general?  For example, this could provide a convergence of email storage
with file storage, where each email is a distinct 'file' type, and can be
manipulated exactly as a normal 'file'.  One would expect a rdbms file system
would be required to provide performance similar to today's kmail.  An
extensible rdbms based file system might also be available to store contact
information, schedules, and other user information.

Perhaps Konqueror could be used to view _any_ of this data in a general
fashion (as in the email example, above) and provide uniform input for such
data as well through a simple templating system (the software I have
illustrates this).  A uniform API might mean that a single applications could
function on whole swathes of data types, e.g. a universal XML reader /
creator.

One might approach this at the OS level, but that is probably unsettling and
premature.  If, however, a system such as kde were to adopt an extensible
rdbms available for use by its components, developers could convert to the
new framework over time.

I can demonstrate the software mentioned above to those interested.  If you
respond, please cc me directly, as I am not currently subscribed to the list.

Sincerely,

Michael S. Mikowski