Recent KHTML/Qt changes cause crash in Kopete

Nick Betcher nbetcher at kde.org
Sun Mar 2 22:16:50 GMT 2003

Let me first start off by saying that I'm not subscribed to this list, so
please CC me or kopete-devel.

Recently something in KHTML and/or Qt has broken Kopete and its normal way of
appending messages. One Kopete devel who has plain Qt 3.1 but does have KHTML
HEAD isn't experiencing this problem, but users using qt-copy HEAD and KHTML
HEAD are. To reproduce:

	* Start Kopete

	* Add an IRC contact

	* Go online with IRC

	* Join the channel

	* Crash

It's possible it happens with the other plugins, but I just know for sure that
IRC does it. Here is our code that appends a message to KHTML:

		DOM::HTMLElement newNode = chatView->document().createElement(
QString::fromLatin1("div") );
		newNode.setInnerHTML( resultHTML );
		chatView->htmlDocument().body().appendChild( newNode );
		if( !scrollPressed )
			QTimer::singleShot( 1, this, SLOT( slotScrollView() ) );

Crash occurs on 'chatView->htmlDocument().body().appendChild( newNode );'.
This file is located at
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/kdenonbeta/kopete/libkopete/ui/chatview.cpp?rev=1.177&content-type=text/plain
line 761-765.

It would be GREATLY appreciated if this could be fixed for KDE 3.1.1!!!! We
plan to make another Kopete release before the KDE 3.2 release and to have
users with a KHTML that is broken is unacceptable. If there is anything that
can be done in KHTML to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. If there
is a better (and faster - this method is often slow) of appending a message
to KHTML, please let us (kopete-devel at kde.org) know that too!

						Thanks,
							Nick Betcher