Trash, Delete, Shred

David Hugh-Jones hughjonesd at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 28 14:18:46 BST 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 11:37, Luis Pedro Coelho wrote:

> 95 % of the time i want to "move to trash". It just allows me to trash stuff
> without thinking twice about it since there is an "undo".
> However, ever so often, I want to really delete them. I want to really delete
> an iso image I downloaded after having burned it to CD, for example. In a
> nutshell, I rather just delete space-consuming things I know I can get again
> (downloaded stuff, saved email attachments - why keep one copy on disk and
> another in the mail?).
>
> So, I do use both options.

Sounds like a similar deal to Max Howell. If the trash automatically
offered to delete everything once it hit a certain size quota, would you
then feel able to "just hit delete" without worrying about how big the
file was?

> I just say we shouldn't assume remote == slow/no-bandwidth. It sometimes is,
> it sometimes isn't.

I do see your point. I've had the same problem myself. I guess advanced
users can always use shift+DEL or ctrl+DEL to override the policy on
remote files. Actually, on remote files, we could add in a "delete"
action to the context menu, in addition to the default "trash" action
(if the default is trash). That way the option is relatively easy to
find.

Alternatively, we could popup a slightly different confirmation dialog
for "move to trash" on remote files:

Do you want to move this/these file(s) to your local trash?
[Yes] [No, just delete them] [Cancel]
[ ] Don't ask me this again

This would then be combined with the kcontrol option so that "Don't ask
me again" would move to "trash local/delete remote"

Dave