Trash, Delete, Shred

Luis Pedro Coelho luis_pedro at netcabo.pt
Sat Jun 28 09:28:13 BST 2003

Le Saturday 28 June 2003 03:15, David Hugh-Jones a écrit :
> Hi Konqueror developers

That doesn't includes me, but I will give you my opinion.

> The patch replaces the 3 actions "Trash", "Delete" and "Shred" with a
> single "Delete" action. This is then configurable in the kcm_konq
> module. I have in mind something like this:
>
> -- Deleting local files --
> (o) move to trash
> ( ) delete
>    [x] shred after delete [only enabled when delete from hd is selected]
>
> [x] confirm before deleting files

Please, don't do this. Sometimes I want to delete, sometimes I want to move to
trash.s

> Remote files will be deleted without moving to the trash, even if move
> to trash is selected.

Don't do this either. IIRC, MS-Windows does the same and I found it a horrible
thing (I haven't used it in years, so I can't be sure it still does so).

Remote file handling is a problem, yes, but just making automatic deletes when
I want to move to trash is not the solution. "Do what I want not what you
think I mean".
Already fish seems to disallow a move-to-trash, which gets on my nerves
already: especially if I am fishing to a server across the same building
where the bandwidth is actually limited by the speed of my disk drive.

> Comments would be welcome. One point to note is whether shift+DEL should
> do pure delete, ctrl+DEL do shred etc. I am against that because I think
> that it is probably rather easy to do it by accident. You have "move to
> trash" on and "confirm" off; you mean to hit DEL and accidentally hit
> shift+DEL: then your files are really deleted without confirmation. But
> if a lot of people use this feature, we could keep it and auto-enable
> confirmations.

I think you mean your patch. Right now, I just enabled confirmations for
Delete (while keeping Trash unconfirmed) and I do get a confirmation-box with
Shift+DEL and none with DEL. If you change this behaviour it could be
considered a regression.

Overall, I must say I am against it. My suggestion: get rid of "Shred." It's a
broken concept and very few people understand what it means. And those will
probably understand it doesn't give you any reassurances.
It's a bad idea.

Regards,
- --
Luis Pedro Coelho