Menus from kdesktop and konqueror

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Jun 23 11:59:41 BST 2003

(Moving to kfm-devel)

On Sunday 22 June 2003 18:35, you wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Here is the first version of the patch to splitt the "Create New" directory. I
> have made the two versions of the menu I told in the last mail.

I still think this is over-configurability. Choose the best layout, implement it,
and that's it. Imagine if there were 10 configuration options, one for
each menu in Konqueror....

If you reduce this to only one layout, then there is no need for all
the kdesktop code reorganization (which I find a bit dangerous, that
code is a bit touchy). No need for the kcontrol change either.

You broke BC in KNewMenu, since you added member variables to it.
You need to use the d pointer instead.

Why did you pass a QPopupMenu in the constructor? What does it
mean? Is that the parent popupmenu?

+  QString templateName; // same as templatePath but only the templatename
Why not extract it at runtime, from templatePath?
(path.truncate( path.findRev( '/' ) ) for instance)

> It only changes the "Create New" menu in the desktop at the moment. I think if
> somebody ont he can use it in konqueror, too. For the new layout I have added
> a new constructor, so I hope it don't crash other programms that are not
> using the new layout.

A new constructor is no problem, BC-wise.

> If nobody is there to integrate that in the konqueror I
> can try to implement it there, too.   :)

It should be consistent between the two, yes ;)