PATCH: kio_ftp

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Fri Jun 6 12:29:51 BST 2003

On Friday 06 June 2003 05:34, David Faure wrote:

> Ok, but why did you sneak in this kind of change?
> -  infoMessage( i18n("Opening connection to host <b>%1</b>").arg(m_host) );
> +  infoMessage( i18n("Opening connection to host %1").arg(m_host) );
> Did we decide against hostnames in bold?

Yes we did decide against using bold for reasons that escape me now, but the
same has been done in kio_http for example.

> This kind of "cleanup" doesn't really improve readability either:
> -  if ( m_host != _host || m_port != _port ||
> -       m_user != user || m_pass != pass )
> +  if ( (m_host != _host) || (m_port != _port ) ||
> +       (m_user != _user) || (m_pass != _pass) )

Will revert that part back :)

> > - Enable kio_ftp to work with ftp servers that do not allow anonymous
> > users and close such connection immediately. The pure-ftpd server which I
> > use is a prime example of this. To fix this I basically changed how
> > ftpSendCmd works and made it more tolerant. It now retries to send the
> > command at least one more time if it fails because the connection
> > timed-out or there was an error when writting to the socket.
>
> I remember this stuff being quite touchy. Did you test a few sites that
> time out?

It was.  I did extensive test against the ftpd server I am running by changing
the timeout period to several different values. I will try a few other sites.
I am confident it should not have any problems.

Regards,
Dawit A.