Ideas for Konqueror?

Peter Kelly pmk at kde.org
Sun Jul 27 05:21:50 BST 2003

Actually if you're looking for usability ideas like this to implement,
probably the most innovative thing I've seen like this is Pad++. This is
a web browser which displays the set of visited pages in a graph
structure that the user can navigate around.

Each node in the graph represents an individual page, and as you navigate
to other pages, additional nodes are added to the graph with lines
connecting the source & destination of links. You can then see a
zoomed-out view of your browsing history. This is IMHO a far better
alternative to the traditional back/forward model since you can see
multiple "branches" of your navigation path, along with thumbnails of
each of the pages you have visited.

I had a go at putting together a very rough prototype of this in konq at
one stage but didn't get the time to take it any further. The biggest
question is really how to integrate this into the user interface cleanly,
and sorting out how to deal with issues like multiple windows etc.

Have a look at http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/pad++/ for more details,
particularly the paper "A Zooming Web Browser" at
http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/pad++/papers/spie-96-webbrowser/spie-96-webbrowser.pdf

There's a ton of other ideas like this out there in the research community
that makes today's web browsers look very primitive and unsophisticated.
Some of these have a lot of potential if they can be implemented properly
in maintream browsers.

--
Peter Kelly
pmk at kde.org