Konqueror delete unification

Jos van den Oever kdelists at vandenoever.info
Fri Jul 18 13:54:52 BST 2003

On Friday 18 July 2003 14:11, Koos Vriezen wrote:
> I think you have a point, using a suid for restoring trash is dangerous.
> Good reason for splitting this functionality like a untrash...and/or,
> (un)trash forks, child changes uid and restores files, parent waits for
> it and if succeeds sets permissions right (for restoring over fs
> boundaries) and maybe edit trash meta data. No suid on untrash means
> you can lose owner.group settings..but it's not the end of the world
> either and only if a fs doesn't have a trash dir.

You don't need to edit the metadata is agree that metadata can be removed by
trash (not untrash) if a file is not in the trash. This slows down trash
somewhat, but improves safety.
No suid on trash might also mean you're not able to restore a file to a
certain dir. untrash should then ask for an alternative location.