Konqueror delete unification

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 17 22:13:57 BST 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Jos van den Oever wrote:

> Hello Koos,
>
> Reading your post, I think your describing a killer app. A command-line trash
> tool would be very cool.
>
> I've got a few remarks:
> - use untrash for restoring files (restore is taken), using trash for trashing
> and restoring is confusing
> - trash doesn't need to be interactive, only untrash needs to be

Not uncommon though, like tar. Yes -i like cp/mv, so only for restoring.

> - put mktrash and trashfind in the daemon: the user nor root should need to
> run them

Not sure if a daemon is necessary, but 'mktrash -a' (make all trash dirs
if not there yet) is probably useful. Why do you think of a daemon (note
that 'trash' is suid)?

> Actually the Trash Can project looks pretty well thought out. trash:// can
> probably build straight on top of it. Too bad it's not in Knoppix/Debian,
> otherwise I'd immediately apt-get it. I think I'll install it anyway.

Only to user oriented imo, and no multible trash dirs.

(One thing I thought of afterward, is the permission of the trashed file.
 It should be the most restrictive when going up the directory tree, eg. a
 644 in ones home dir, with permission 701, should be 600 I think.)

> I did find libtrash:
>
> libtrash is a shared library which, when preloaded, will intercept
> calls to a series of GNU libc functions and make sure that, if an
> attempt to destroy certain files is made, these won't be permanently
> destroyed but rather moved to a "trash can".
>
> Cute idea, but too obfuscating for my taste.

Indeed, 'trash myfile' instead of 'rm myfile' isn't that hard imo.

Koos