Konqueror delete unification

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Jul 16 08:26:58 BST 2003

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 04:44, Michael S. Mikowski wrote:
> # ls -a /home/me/Desktop/Trash
>
> file1.sxw -> /opt/extra_space/me/.trash/file1.sxw
> file2.sxw -> /opt/extra_space/me/.trash/file2.sxw
> img1.png -> /var/www/html/images/reference/.trash/img1.png
> notes.txt -> /usr/share/me/.trash/notes.txt

The ownership of .trash would really be a problem though.
It would have to always match the ownership and permissions of its parent
dir, but there's no way to ensure this is always true.

Plus this doesn't solve the problems due to conflicting filenames
(deleting a file with the same name in two directories).

I think the idea described in http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/Trash_system_messages
is more complete (it includes the ability to see the date of deletion, and
to restore the mtime of the file when restoring it, etc.), and it fixes those problems.

(The comment about "soon in KDE" in those mails is obviously wrong, the
Corel guys never finished that stuff. I wonder if Nautilus uses any kind of
metadata now, or if they only have that "per-partition Trash directory").