Konqueror delete unification

David Hugh-Jones hughjonesd at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 15:28:03 BST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 14:46, Malte Starostik wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 July 2003 09:29, Trian Karayiannis wrote:
> I didn't find what discussion David was refering to in the initial post, so
> please excuse me if this has already been mentioned and regarded bad:
> What about a single "Delete" action in the main menu, context menu and
> keyboard shortcuts that triggers a confirmation dialog like this:

> | Are you sure you want to delete the following files? |
> | foo.jpeg                                             |
> | bar.mp3                                              |
> | blurb.txt                                            |
> | [x] Keep the files in the trash can for recovery     |
> | [ Delete ]                                [ Cancel ] |
>
> Where the "Keep the..." (better naming please :-) option would be remembered
> and default to true.
> This combines both ways of deletion into one action without the need to add
> any configuration options for it (shift-del could still be there for power-
> users to init that checkbox to off).
> An alternative would be no such check box but instead three buttons:
> "Delete", "Move to trash", and "Cancel", but I'd expect that to look more
> crowded and complex that a check box.

This is nice, but you still do need some configuration options: if you
tick the "don't ask me again box" (which is how this wd be implemented
using the KMessageBox class), you have to have some way to change your
mind later.

(I don't think you can get away with not having this "don't ask me again
box". People don't want to have to always confirm things. We might get
away with forcing confirmation whenever we do a delete (but not a
trash). It would be annoying but arguably it would be the Right Thing.)

Essentially this is quite like what I have got already, with the
addition that now the choice between "delete" and "trash" is also
available from the confirmation dialog.

The only problem with this way of doing it is that you tend to end up
asking a lot of questions. For example, if we ask "Delete or trash" and
the user ticks "don't ask me again", what do we do when a large remote
file is trashed? Do we pop up asking for a new decision? But if so we
are not fulfilling the user's request that we don't ask him again.

The original discussion was partly on kde-usability so take a look
there.

Dave