Konqueror delete unification

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 16:22:59 BST 2003

Hi Dave, et. al.

This is an interesting discussion.  From a user perspective, here are a few
thoughts.  I hope you find them useful.

After this very thorough review, and a review of my own habits (on KDE 3.1), I
believe the distinction between "Move to Trash" and "Delete" is very
important and should be maintained.  I simply needs both capabilities, and a
"streamlined" interface could only make it simply more clumsy and confusing.

That being said, a few of the dialogs might be improved.

Here is a thought for the "Delete File" confirmation dialog

|              Delete File - Konqueror            | x |
| WARNING! /home/fred/plaster.pdf                     |
| will be removed from the disk and may never be      |
| recovered.  If you think you might need this file   |
| in the future, you may use Move to Trash instead.   |
| Do you still wish to proceed?                       |
|                                                     |
|     Yes     Move to Trash Instead     Cancel        |

Also, when the user clicks the trash button, I think the behavior should
*always* be to move a file to the trash.  Whenever the system "thinks" an
exception to this rule is desirable, a warning dialog or further action
dialog might appear:

|              Move to Trash - Konqueror           | x |
| WARNING! ftp://path/to/my/remote/file                |
| is a remote file!  Moving it to the trash might take |
| a long time.  Do you still wish to proceed?          |
|                                                      |
|       Yes     Delete Instead     Cancel              |

I *don't* like the idea of discriminating if a local file is on this or that
partition.  It really isn't much a concern for me.  I *do* like the idea of
employing a file size limit prior to moving a file to trash -- e.g. "Warn me
when moving large files to trash  __ MB"  A 'sane' default limit, like 25MB,
might be used.

|              Move to Trash - Konqueror           | x |
| WARNING! /home/share/really_big_fat_file.iso         |
| exceeds 25MB.  Moving it to the trash could take a   |
| a long time and consume a large amount of disk space.|
| Do you still wish to proceed?                        |
|       Yes     Delete Instead     Cancel              |

Cheers,

Mike