Konqueror delete unification

David Hugh-Jones hughjonesd at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 14:44:44 BST 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 14:02, Koos Vriezen wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, David Hugh-Jones wrote:
>
> > If you have a large file on another partition, could you not just force
> > a delete? I don't think we can make the system clever enough to guess
> > whether to delete a file or trash it (based on size, ioslave, partition
> > etc.)
>
> KURL::isLocalFile() and stat(2) if true.

Yes, it is easy to do that bit. But the problem is:

* some users want to trash only local files
* some users want to trash only small files
* some users want to trash local files or small remote files
* some only small local files
* [add extra dimensions as required!]

and also:
* some consider 1.5Gb big, some 150Mb (maybe they have different hard
drive sizes)

etc. etc. So if you try and do this "intelligently", you will almost
certainly get it wrong for most people; and you will _certainly_ end up
being unpredictable. (I hit "delete" - is it going to trash it or delete
it?)

So I think we have to be simple instead, but allow a little bit of user
configuration at the same time - and the "local/remote" opposition
seemed the most useful judging by comments on kde-usability.

Incidentally: does anyone know if isLocalFile() will know about unusual
kioslaves that might actually refer to local files? (I don't mean e.g.
fish://192.168.0.1 but something like floppy://)

Dave

> > and I don't think we want to make the config dialog any more
> > complex than it is.
>
> No indeed, it should do the right thing defaultly. But again it has
> nothing to do with your patch but the trash implementation..

I was going to say that :-)