Konqueror delete unification

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 13 22:39:09 BST 2003

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Tim Jansen wrote:

> There are two reasons why people want to delete (instead of move to trash):
> 1. because they want to conserve disk space
> 2. because they want that nobody is able to view that file
>
> (1) is also somewhat triggered by human instincts. Even when there are
> gigaytes of free disk space people still want to have as much as possible. A
> similar effect can be seen in older MacOS versions: originally the trash icon
> was always the same. Later somebody had the idea that the trash icon should
> show it when there was something in the trash. The result was that people
> started emptying the trash after deleting, because it is a good idea to empty
> your trash bin early & often. In general usability guys seem to regard that
> change in MacOS as a bad thing BTW...
> However, (1) could also be solved by a intelligent mechanism to clean up the
> trash when the disk space is low (but automatically, not with annoying
> dialogs like in windows - if something is in trash there should not be any
> guarantes thatthe file may stay there).

Just adding my 1.5 cents as a kfm user.
I wouldn't mind kfm trashing a file if I delete it if it's on the same
partition as my home dir. but if I delete eg an iso image on another
partition, I would be quite annoyed and probably not going to use it. Not
to mention remote disks.
Iirc, ms has a trash on each partion (can't be done with linux) and
default not to trash for remote files. Also toggling this with shift del
is a nice feature.

Koos