designmode in khtml

Nicolas Deschildre nicolasdchd at ifrance.com
Tue Jul 8 20:39:53 BST 2003

[..]

> > It should be better (for the kafka side) that all the DOM::Node have two
> > flags:
> > * canBeDeleted. If set to true, in case of text, it implies that the
> > text can be edited and deleted, and can have the cursor Focus. In case
> > of others "graphical" Nodes such as IMG, TABLE, OBJECT, etc..., you can
> > delete it by pressing backspace or delete when the cursor is near this
> > Node. If set to false, you can't modify/delete the text and delete
> > "graphical" Nodes.
> Any node should be deletable in an editor, or did I oversee a special aspect
> here?

Ok I realize this flag isn't really needed.

> > * canBeModified. Useful only for the "graphical" Nodes. It implies that
> > when we click on these Nodes, they get the focus, and little squares are
> > drawn all around to be able to change the size. If set to false, you
> > can't modify "graphical" Nodes.
> > I was thinking of a last one, canHaveCursorFocus, but it might be
> > redondant with canBeDeleted as when we can delete a Node, we must have
> > the cursor to delete it, and when we have the cursor, it would be weird
> > not being able to delete the Node. But let's put it, it might be usefull
> > sooner of later.
> >
> I'm not sure if any of these are needed at all. If basic cursor navigation and
> selection works, both of us will have a much better position to define a
> useful API.

But i believe the second one is useful for future features such as , for
example, an error system. The text of a badly written tag will be
displayed in a red table instead of rendering the Tag. Here, it is
useless to be able to resize the table.
And let's forget the third flag.
I don't think the second flag will complicate too much the
implementation as it concerns only a few Nodes (Applet, Img, table,
object, and maybe some others) and don't interact with others elements.
If you don't mind, i'd like to implement the resizing of these Nodes ;)

++
Nicolas