designmode in khtml

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Mon Jul 7 14:29:43 BST 2003

Hello,

In the holidays to come I'd like to implement designmode[1] for khtml.
However, I have some questions to be clarified:

Is anybody working on this already? (e. g. Apple/Safari?)
If yes, I won't even start as not to inflict useless duplication of work. (I
know about kafka, this is not a duplication, designmode would in fact take a
burden off of the kafka developers.)

How far has the merge of rendering/ been completed?
I looked at khtml HEAD as well as WebCore and found out that WebCore makes
heavy use of InlineBox, InlineRunBox, InlineFlowBox etc. Though khtml HEAD
contains render_line.*, its classes are nowhere used (I suspect they are
pending for merging). But those classes would considerably ease the
implementation of designmode-functionality, so I need them in place before
starting.

Though knowing the overall structure of khtml quite well, my knowledge about
the internals of rendering is merely superficial. Commits to rendering seem
to have stalled for weeks (except for tiny changes), so maybe someone is
working offline on big changes (probably including the Inline*Box merges)
whose work I don't want to spoil by changing stuff myself. Please tell me if
you have big changes in store for coordinating our works.

If nobody has got time to merge the Inline*Box stuff, I'll do it myself. In
this case, I very likely need help from rendering experts like Lars, or Dirk,
to not fsck up anything.

mfg
	Leo

PS.: Does anybody know where I can get the most recent version of WebCore? I
got mine from
http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/webcore/WebCore-85.tar.gz but it
seems outdated already.

[1] http://www.mozilla.org/editor/midas-spec.html