Trash, Delete, Shred - BrowserExtension problems?

David Hugh-Jones hughjonesd at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 11:07:40 BST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 10:41, David Faure wrote:
> Why not do the least intrusive change, which would be to let del and trash
> do what they do right now, and to add a "defaultdel" or whatever, which
> calls the right one?
> Besides you can't call a slot "delete", it's a C++ keyword - been there, done that :)

You're right, it does sound sensible. Argh, more grep, cut and paste...

> > [ remove the shred action entirely]
> I'd suggest to at least inform pour at kde.org about it... I don't want to be
> yelled at for removing the feature he added...

CC'ed on this mail.

> Hmm, we currently send to trash even remote files? This sounds a bit useless
> and broken.... We are really talking about remote == over SMB or FTP, right?
> (Not like "other partition"...)

I don't think we do, actually: the RMB on remote files only shows
delete. But see the discussion on usability - some people _want_ to
trash remote files, e.g. over a local network. Hence the 3 options:
trash all, delete all, delete remote.

> What will you do with the del and trash actions? Some people (including me)
> still want to have them in the RMB, to delete some files and trash some others.
> I suppose you'll add a config option (since there's no full-fledged menu editing
> for the popupmenu yet). Just make sure that one can't have both the "del"
> and the "defaultdel" actions at the same time, since they'll both appear
> with a "Delete" label.

I am really very against adding a config option. If we are pushing down
complexity in one area (the RMB) and then it pops up in another area
(config), why bother? If you want to force delete, do "shift+DEL"; force
trash, do "ctrl+DEL". See the usability discussion passim.

We _could_ have both these options in the main menu. The problem is, how
do you distinguish "delete" == user action which may be configured to
delete, move to trash or whatever, from "delete" == really delete?

Hmm. I guess "deldefault" maybe should just change its name as well as
the icon. Keep it unambiguous.