Koffice Icon Contest Proposal

ismail (cartman) donmez voidcartman at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 18:21:35 GMT 2003

>From the countless (!) replies you sent :-) and from the irc discussion on
irc.freenode.net #koffice I assume its indeed a good idea.

Then first we should decide on the announcement. I am thinking something like
this. (Comments are greatly appreciated)

P.S : Kexi is not mentioned because I dont know if it will be bundled with
Koffice 1.3. Is it?

P.P.S : Please try to focus more on starting paragraph and application
description when you comment.

Koffice Development Group is proud to announce "The  Icon Kontest" which will
be an icon creation contest for Koffice , integrated  office suite for KDE
Desktop Environment. With this contest we would like to get Koffice ready for
1.3 release visually. On the other hand developers  are already working to
develop core system of Koffice. What we hope is with this contest Koffice
will be better in its visual appeal as its already is in its core.

Applying for "The Icon Kontest"

Everyone is free to enter to the contest. You can apply for contest alone or
you can apply as a group of designers. You should submit 2 materials :

1- Appearances of all icons together at a reasonable size ( 22x22 or 32x32 )
2- And a link to the icon package ( You shouldn't send the whole package! )

the necessary material.

"The Icon Kontest" Timeline

Contest will be run for 1 month. After 1 month all icons will be examined by
core Koffice developers & Koffice users and the artist/group who win the
contest will be announced in one week .

Aim of "The Icon Kontest"

Purely our aim is to create a brand new koffice with its User Interface and
with its powerful core.

Icons to Create :

In contest every artist supposed to create icons for following Koffice
applications :

-- KoShell ( Work area for Koffice )
-- Kword ( Word Processing Suite )
-- KSpread ( Excel-like application )
-- KPresenter ( A presentation application similar to PowerPoint )
-- Krita ( An image creation/manipulation program )
-- Karbon14 ( A SVG creation/manipulation program )
-- Kformula ( A mathematical tool to create/edit formulas )
-- Kugar & Kugar Designer ( Report creating programs )
-- Kivio ( A Visio like application )

Icons should not be only limited to main application icons but toolbar icons
should be designed too . So every artist should  have a copy of recent
version ( 1.2.1 ) of Koffice.

All Icon packages must contain 22x22, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64, 128x128 sized icons
for *main* application icons and 22x22, 32x32, 48x48 sized icons for other
parts ( toolbars , menus etc ) .

Preferred icon format is PNG but SVG is accepted too. Other icon formats must
be converted to one of these formats before submitting.

The Prize :

KDE ( as any other free software project ) is a non-profit organization. And
Koffice developers are just volunteers around the world gathered together to
create free software. Because of this contest prize will not be money but
rather  the artist/group who win the contest will be credited in Koffice
source and in all Koffice programs.

Legal Issues :

All submitted icons must belong to artist/group who submits it . Icons
belonging some 3rd party will not be accepted for the contest.Icon licenses
must be acceptable Open Source licenses ( GPL , LGPL , Artistic , MIT/X
licenses are fine ) .

"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to conquer the
world."

-- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.