Nsplugins and javascript: urls

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Fri Feb 28 18:48:32 GMT 2003

On Thursday 27 February 2003 13:20, Alex Russell wrote:
> On Friday 28 February 2003 11:35 am, George Staikos wrote:
> >   That's not related.  We can support that with a .protocol file if we
> > want. javascript: is a special case though.
>
> Is the javascript: pseudo-protocol defined in any public spec? I find it to
> be a dubious hack that allows authors to put scripts in places they don't
> belong. Given the number of security problems that have been pegged to it
> over the years in other browsers, I'm warry of it on a lot of levels.
>
> If konq doesn't already support it, consider this a vote against
> implementing it.

   Well it's not really inside konqueror, but inside the nsplugins part and
code.  It seems that a lot of plugins request javascript:document.location,
javascript:history.back(), etc.  The problem is that they are implemented,
but they just don't work presently. :)  I put in a hack for history.back()
and it seems to work nicely.  There is also a hack present for
document.location, but I dont' think it works at all.  For instance, playing
films on atomfilms seems to have broken recently (I think they changed the
site), and it works all the way up to the point where the plugin requests the
url (with notification) javascript:document.location.

--

George Staikos