Flash crashes

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Feb 26 02:03:44 GMT 2003

Well I have found one of the possible reasons for memory problems when running
Flash.  After an incredible frustrating session trying to valgrind/gdb
nspluginviewer, I finally have some results:

1)  Flashplayer has memory corruption internally.  Valgrind told me this.
Macromedia has ignored every email I ever sent them, so I'm not inclined to
post any details here.  They can find it and fix it themselves.

2)  I know why it crashes with your example, and this is probably the last
remaining crash in nspluginviewer code.  It's also probably the most
notorious.  I think that a whole bunch of the code we have in there is
garbage, and needs to be removed entirely.  Unfortunately I can understand
why it was originally put there, and it might introduce a memory leak.  I
need to test this more before I commit the fix.

Thanks for the great testcase.  Even with the testcase, it still took 3 hours
to fix this tonight so far. :)

--

George Staikos