About Java applets sizes

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sat Feb 22 23:22:44 GMT 2003

On Saturday 22 February 2003 16:26, Koos Vriezen wrote:
> Ok thanks. Btw. ackporting is only needed if kjavaappletviewer is
> backported too.
> I've a local kde-3.1 branch where it's backported and it works fine. I can
> backport it as a quick fix for OBJECT based applets. However, in the
> unlikely case, pages having both OBJECT as APPLET based applets, two jvm
> are started. For that reason I'm trying to get rid of the old

I think it's a no-brainer that no functionality is worse than functionality
with extra memory use in this specific case.  I would say go for it if it
really helps real world pages.

> widget based mechanism in favor of the kpart one. This needs changes in
> KHTMLPart for the onload event (already in HEAD), in ecma/kjs_html for
> applet.toString (already done in my tree), somehow share
> HTMLAppletElementImpl::attach which HTMLObjectElementImpl (have something
> working in my tree) and don't link libkjava.a and render_applet.o with
> khtml (work in my tree also, saves about 150 kb for libkhtml.so).
>
> Anyway, this might be too much to backport :-)

  Don't do it for 3.1.1 then.  If you can keep the patches small and specific
(so that one builds on another, etc), and test it on your local machine, then
I can test it here as well for 3.1.2.  That should give you at least a month
or so, probably more.

--

George Staikos