Konqueror native flash plugin

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sat Feb 22 06:33:51 GMT 2003

  I have checked in the start of a Konqueror native flash plugin in
kdenonbeta/kswfdec.  It's not really much, because 99.9% of the work was
already done by http://swfdec.sourceforge.net/ .  The kpart just sets up the
widget and embeds the swf_play app.  You don't want to use this if you want
working flash and you can use Macromedia's plugin.  It does not do
everything, but it does seem to be able to render images and animations from
Flash 4/5/6, as well as some sound.  Scripting is a common use of flash, and
this is not working.

   If you are on a non-Macromedia approved operating system or cpu, then this
plugin is for you.  Give it a try.  If you want to help, please contribute to
the debugging and send patches to swfdec.  I had a conversation with the
author tonight and he is going to help us remove gtk dependencies from the
package so we can build a KDE based player application as well.  I think this
has a lot of potential.  Feel free to patch the kpart (carefully), but it
works now so please don't break it. :)  It really is just a hack, but it
really doesn't need much cleanup, and combined with a KDE "kswf_play"
application, we'll have a full KDE solution.  The real work remains with the
swf decoder and player.  There is still much work to do there.

  Enjoy!

--

George Staikos