UA string.

Stig Nygaard stig at rockland.dk
Fri Feb 21 06:45:47 GMT 2003

Hi,

> Is there any spec on UserAgent string formatting?

Some links on Netscape DevEdge and MS:

http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2002/browser-statistics/
http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2002/browser-detection/
http://www.mozilla.org/build/revised-user-agent-strings.html
http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2002/gecko-useragent-strings/
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;272413

Removing the word "compatible" from the UA string would in my opinion be
wrong, because this will indicate it's a Netscape browser. If there are
sites (I haven't seen any!?) which always identify the browser as IE if
"compatible" is missing from the UA-string, those sites should be
contacted to correct the error instead - in my opinion. I'm sure 99% of
all browsersniffing look for the "MSIE" signature when detecting IE
serverside.

Stig.