Javascript debugger

Peter Kelly pmk at kde.org
Sun Feb 16 13:39:41 GMT 2003

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Koos Vriezen wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Peter Kelly wrote:
>
> > I decided to have a go at finishing off the javascript debugger in khtml,
> > which has been sitting there for some time but in an incomplete state.
> > Hopefully this will make troubleshooting javascript problems a bit easier.
>
> That's really great! If you don't mind, I would like to finish the
> evaluation sheet I've added. Now it evaluates from the beginning to the
> cursor and it should be the whole line. Maybe add evalute selected text
> also when pressing Enter.

Sounds good. In some ways I like the current mechanism where it just
evaluates the one line, because it can be used in a similar manner to the
command-line or python. But it is awkward for running larger amounts of
code e.g. defining new functions. So I'm still a little unsure about the
best way to handle this - I'll be interested to see your version.

> > It's now in a (mostly) working state, and you can launch it through
> > "View->JavaScript Debugger" in konqueror, or through the debug button in
> > the javascript error dialog.
> >
> > I'm interested in any feedback people have about the UI and ease of use
> > (particularly from web developers). If you've got any ideas about how it
> > might be improved, this is a good time to let me know.
>
> Well, I'm looking at a deadlocked situation now, an error dialog asks if I
> want to debug and behind that a confirmation if I allow js to open a new
> window, I pressed 'Debug' and can't do anything anymore. Confirmation
> dialog keeps the focus, but Yes/No buttons don't work.
> I think trouble with timer/onload events, while in session...

Could you send me a test page for this?

--
Peter Kelly
pmk at kde.org