konqi preloading is broken in several ways (and unmount bug)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Feb 10 15:44:46 GMT 2003

On Monday 10 of February 2003 14:35, David Faure wrote:
> [old mail, but it was still marked as "to reply to"]
>
> On Monday 13 January 2003 18:37, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > >
> > >    Actually it seems inconsistent.  On my laptop it showed the old
> > > caption,
> >
> >  I don't know how to fix that ... somebody? Typing 'about:blank' in konqy
> > showing www.kde.org doesn't do anything besides clearing the location bar
> > (caption is the same, favicon is the same, even what's shown is the
> > same).
>
> I fixed that.

 You missed one case which showed only with preloading, but that should be ok
now too. I don't see any other problems with preloading now.

 Well, except for one thing. I'm still not sure what to do with memory leaks.
Given that Konqy can dlopen about half of the stuff under $KDEDIR/lib, I'm
afraid that will be needed :(. Any ideas how to reliably and portably detect
Konqy is using way too much memory when considering whether to save the
process for later?

> > Perhaps because 'about:blank' is handled as a special case of showing
> > KHTML (and I suppose that means having 'about:blank' as the default in
> > the profile doesn't really make the startup faster, does it? :(  ).
>
> Yes.
> The problem here is that 1) websites want about:blank to create an empty
> HTML document (to be able to e.g. do javascript stuff on it, to create a
> document) and 2) people asked for being able to use some of the KHTML gui
> options....
>
> But I still think a "really blank" startup option would be good, for
> speed.... It just has to be something else than about:blank.... Maybe
> about:empty? :) It will probably remain a hidden possibility though,
> otherwise this will get very confusing to users (empty page vs empty page
> ...)

 Doesn't clicking 'disable this overview' in 'about:konqueror' do exactly
that?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer