Questions about KPart integration inside KHTML

Greg Langmead gregl at dessci.com
Thu Feb 6 00:46:31 GMT 2003

Hi.  I have a couple of specific technical questions about the
capabilities of KPart within Konq/KHTML, and I'm hoping someone here
can help me or point me to the right documentation.  The pages I've
looked at don't quite address my particular concerns.

First, is it possible to have a KPart set up to handle certain XML
nodes, rather than entire files?  All the examples in the docs are
centered around plug-ins and image viewers for separate files, but I'm
interested in extending the browser to support XML data that it doesn't
support natively (good examples would be SVG and MathML).  My KPart
would need to be somehow activated to render these nodes, and have
access to the node's XML.  If necessary, I could add the constraint
that the nodes I want to render are all given some specific namespace
prefix in the XML source.

Secondly, how tightly integrated can a KPart be inside a KHTML widget?
To do a good job of integrating, I'd need to be able to query the
ambient KHTML widget for the current font at each of my KPart's
instances, as well as the current font size and text baseline.  Again,
the docs seem focused on plugins, which are loosely integrated and
don't depend on their environment.

Finally, it seemed from the docs like a KPart can determine its own
size, and I wanted to verify that this is the case.  Netscape plugins
run in a rectangular area specified directly in the HTML but my KPart
would need to tell the page renderer what its size is.

Thanks for any pointers.

Greg Langmead