Code for IE-like web proxy detection

juan at foxpaw.com juan at foxpaw.com
Mon Feb 3 18:33:52 GMT 2003

Quoting "Dawit A." <adawit at kde.org>:

> On Monday 03 February 2003 05:46, juan at foxpaw.com wrote:
> > The existing "automatically detect script file" requires you to know a
> URL,
> > e.g. http://wpad.kde.org/wpad.dat.  That URL can come from DHCP, DNS
> > well-known-name (wpad), or DNS SRV records.  I implemented all three for
> > linux, and provide the first match, which you may then use as the
> > "automatically detect script file".
>
> I am confused by this statement. The current code supports two of the three
>
> methods you mentioned above. It does not yet support lookups using SLP or DNS
>
> SRV records. But those are just missing features and something that should be
>
> added to the current implementation. If you want to see the current
> implementation and contribute/improve that, it would be great. You can find
>
> the current implementation under kdelibs/kio/misc/kpac.

Yikes!  That's what I get for being out of date.  Nice job.  Confused on m_data
in kpac_discovery.cpp, however--how is the domain name filled in?  Doesn't
appear as if this code searches up domains unless gethostname() returns a FQDN,
which it doesn't on my machine, anyway.

Also, is it okay to block in these functions?  If so I can try to add SRV lookups.

Is Malte still playing with this?
--Juan