Code for IE-like web proxy detection

juan at foxpaw.com juan at foxpaw.com
Mon Feb 3 05:46:29 GMT 2003

The existing "automatically detect script file" requires you to know a URL, e.g.
http://wpad.kde.org/wpad.dat.  That URL can come from DHCP, DNS well-known-name
(wpad), or DNS SRV records.  I implemented all three for linux, and provide the
first match, which you may then use as the "automatically detect script file".

Anecdotal evidence of its usefulness:  my friend took a Knoppix CD to a school
he works at to show them.  He booted it and brought up Konq, and--web no worky.
 IE's what they use.

---Juan