Konqueror as a webdav client?

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Wed Dec 31 02:08:45 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 22:36, Peter Gostelow wrote:
> On 30 December 2003 23:59, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > On Wednesday 31 December 2003 02:39, Peter Gostelow wrote:
> > > I'm trying to setup a groupware site and very interested in using
> > > webdav.
> > >
> > > http://www.webdav.org/projects/ lists KDE as supporting the webdav
> > > protocol, but neither the KDE nor Konqueror site has any webdav info
> > > (unless I missed it).
> > >
> > > Also,
> > > http://nestroy.wi-inf.uni-essen.de/Forschung/Publikationen/WETICE99/
> > > webdav-client-impl/ offers an interesting browser technique to access
> > > the webdav protocol by extending the html form tag.
> > >
> > > Is there any info on using Konqueror as a webdav client?
> > >
> > > As an experiment, I enabled the apache server as follows:
> > >
> > > # WebDav setttings
> > > DavLockDB /var/lock/subsys
> > > <location /dav>
> > > Dav On
> > > AuthType Basic
> > > AuthName "test site"
> > > AuthUserFile /home/www/passwd
> > > AuthGroupFile /home/www/group
> > > <LimitExcept OPTIONS PROPFIND>
> > >   require valid-user admin
> > > </LimitExcept>
> > > </location>
> > >
> > > and from konqueror, entered the following url
> > >
> > > webdav://localhost/dav/index.html
> > >
> > > which did return index.html and render as expected. However, the server
> > > logs suggest something else happened (abreviated here):
> > >
> > > 127.0.0.1 - "PROPFIND /index.html HTTP/1.1" 405 970
> > > 127.0.0.1 - "PROPFIND /index.html HTTP/1.1" 405 970 "-" "user agent"
> > > 127.0.0.1 - "PROPFIND /dav/index.html HTTP/1.1" 207 1021
> > > 127.0.0.1 - "PROPFIND /dav/index.html HTTP/1.1" 207 1021 "-" "user
> > > agent" 127.0.0.1 - "GET /dav/index.html HTTP/1.1" 401 1280
> > > 127.0.0.1 - "GET /dav/index.html HTTP/1.1" 401 1280 "-" "user agent"
> > > 127.0.0.1 - peter "GET /dav/index.html HTTP/1.1" 200 162
> > > 127.0.0.1 - peter "GET /dav/index.html HTTP/1.1" 200 162 "-" "user
> > > agent"
> >
> > What other method would you have expected Konqueror to use to retrieve
> > index.html?
>
> I don't understand the question, since index.html from webdav's view is a
> resource or file, not something to be rendered. propfind supposed to return
> properties on index.html, such as when it was created, who the author was,
> etc.

I think you completely misunderstood the whole notion. The webdav spec. does
not tell clients how to handle a particular resource. A web server, which is
what is providing the webdav extension in this case, does not care one iota
about how a client deals with a resource that was requested from it.

> I don't see where I asked konqueror to propfind or fall back to get. As I
> understand it, I should be able to use konqueror's webdav capabilities in a
> similar way to ftp and cvs combined.

You did. You typed it into konqueror and it did a GET. If you had done the
same thing with the ftp, sftp or any other protocol we support it would have
responded the same way. I think what you meant to type was:

webdav://localhost/dav/

You would then get a listing just like in ftp...

> With standard http, browsers handle the http headers automatically, but
> this is not possible with webdav, since it requires user input to complete
> a header request. The usual form tag doesn't alter http headers themselves,
> which is exactly what must be done with webdav.

Ehhh... says who ?? WebDAV is simply an extension of the HTTP spec. If you
 use it from a browser you get a brower-like behavior. If you use if from
 another type of client, you would get the functionality of that client. For
 example if there was a "webdav resource viewer" part/view avialable,
 konqueror would display the information you were expecting when you switch
 the view into that mode...

> Also, webdav uses xml to pass options, such as resource properties. How do
> you feed konqueror the xml to do that? What does konqueror do when it
> receives xml embedded in a webdav response?

Nothing, it never sees it since it is handled by the http io-slave...

> I'm sorry if the example was misleading, I was merely checking to see if
> konqueror recognised the webdav:// protocol.

It does, but konqueror treats it as it would any resource requested through
any other protocol.

--
Regards,
Dawit A.