Ctrl+O in Konq

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Sat Aug 16 16:20:24 BST 2003

Hello,

Currently Ctrl+O (Open Location) works good only in Browser mode and it
doesn't stand up to other features of Konqueror, even misleads user
sometimes. Example:

New Tab (address is about:blank), Ctrl+O,
Now begin entering something. You will see menu with names from your
$HOME. But if you will chose one of them:
An error occurred while loading http://aug82003.html:

Here fault is not assuming http as default protocol but menu which
suggest possibility of direct access to those files. Everything is OK if
I start with ~/ but it can be hard for beginners.

Also in directory view if I chose Ctrl+O and begin enter name there will
be menu and after choosing item message: Malformed URL.

Default Location widget behaves much better. Maybe implement it in Open
Location dialog?

m.

ps. I am cc'ying it to kfm-devel because this usability question has
simple(?) programming solution.

Hmm. Looks like this piece of code is responsible for this:
konq_mainwindow.cc:1260   (CVS 29.07)
void KonqMainWindow::slotOpenLocation()
{
  // Don't pre-fill the url, as it is auto-selected and thus overwrites the
  // X clipboard, making it impossible to paste in the url you really wanted.
  // Another example of why the X clipboard sux
  KURL url = KURLRequesterDlg::getURL( QString::null, this, i18n("Open Location") );
  if (!url.isEmpty())
     openFilteredURL( url.url().stripWhiteSpace() );
}