what about "charset=windows-1252"?

Melchior FRANZ a8603365 at unet.univie.ac.at
Fri Sep 13 15:54:29 BST 2002

Hi,

I'm regularly reading the reports at http://www.bka.gv.at/aps/.
Although they run the server on Linux (and even have Tux as their
favicon -- funny, given that this is the official homepage of the
Republic of Austria! :-), they bother to edit the pages via
Micros~1 Frontpage.

And here comes the problem: They put the following meta tag
in their headers:

and the page comes out with all umlauts and sharp s replaced
by greek letters and such. It's really hard to read this way.
Now, I'm quite confident that this is not a konqueror/khtml
bug, but rather a frontpage bug. If I replace windows-1252
by cp-1252, everything is as expected. Manually requesting
the cp-1252 charset via "View/Set Encoding" doesn't change
anything.

Is "windows=1252" an inofficial charset that violates the
standards, and konqueror rightfully ignores it? (I'll accuse
the bka guys then. ;-)  Or is it a bug?

m.