Question about logging web accesses by a Konqueror user

rudy rudy at mailhost.edpstaff.com
Mon Sep 2 17:02:01 BST 2002

hi:

What I'd like to be able to do is log all sites accessed by a browser instance
(identified by a user id) running under Linux. Can this be done? if so, how?

The point here is that the filters people use to prevent their kids accessing
sites they shouldn't are quite ineffective (that's in part why the court struck
down the Children's Internet Protection Act.) while trying to use proxy servers
to either track or limit accesses can be effective but is difficult.

If, however, kids knew that someone would review a detailed log of the sites
they visited, their behavor would probably be affected. Ideally, therefore, this
would be compiled in rather than switched on at startup and write log files
editable only by root.

My boy is only six months old, but I'm doing a series of draft columns on using
Linux at home and want to be able to recommend a better solution than
key word filters or proxying but can't find anything in the docs; hence the
request.

Rudy de Haas
http://www.edpstaff.com/
The Unix Guide to Defenestration - see http://www.winface.com/